Tuesday, January 17, 2017

What is the definition of a forked tongue?

We always learned about the reputation that the "White" man had with the Native Americans that he spoke with a forked tongue.  This has always had a question mark in my mind as I thought about the language and articulation of words between people and people groups.

The older I get, the more that I see the forkedness of my own tongue.  The "rubbish" language that I use to get my own way, here and there.  A bell sounds in my mind that I am speaking with the "forked tongue".   I am using words to sensitize my victim, perhaps, so that I can accomplish some unsuspecting goal.  Not exactly deception, but doping, perhaps.  Using words as a sedative, perhaps.

I am writing this to you, who wrung every scripture verse out of my soul about the use of the tongue. The tongue of the wise...The angry tongue, etc.  Never did I talk about the forked tongue, which is perhaps my own blindspot.

Straight talk and undeceptive speech is very difficult and learning to choose the right word for the right situation is becoming more and more evasive, with the use of emoticons and emojis.  What am I trying to say gets lost in what do I want people to think about what I am saying.  This is a very complicated soul wrestling.  Don't miss the wonderful corrections from God, in the complexity of growing to speak the "truth in love."  Pray about your posts and your emails and stories, etc.  Pray about how to say what you say to the people you love and care about, as well as those with whom you could care less, what they think.

Think about pleasing God and getting your tongue bridled and narrowed from a fork tongue to a single mind and a single tongue.  Love you!

No comments: