Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This Thanksgiving, I had a meditation of baking pie with cousin.

We have never taken the luxury of setting time aside to bake, Lauren and I. But somehow, this Thanksgiving I had a fond remembrance of the many enjoyments of her delightful pie.
I suppose that my life, I have attempted to imitate the taste, if not the look of that divine confection, for my children's sake. So many times, at home, I have asked of this or that detail of her pie, while eating it. Is it nutmeg, and cinnamon? Is it a normal crust, or some secret? I couldn't get every taste coded into my buds before I moved so very far from the taste of home. "The Christie taste" Lauren has risen to the upper eshelon of Christie representation of pie. Perhaps because she made it every year, since we were very young, perhaps, because she is a grandchild and not a great-grandchild like myself. Whatever the reason, I accepted the challenge in my mind to take the time and try again for the ?llionth time to recreate that taste of home that I am so very sick for.
Wow, Laur...This year I got pretty close. It had the look. Not quite the combo of nutmeg and cinnamon and sugar that I would have liked and certainly, I forgot the lemon. Then, Laur would say to me, that is not lemon, that is some other secret ingredient. I nearly ate the whole thing myself and my hips will not be happy at the result. I do love my cousin and miss her pie as well as her hugs.

No comments: