Tuesday, November 1, 2011

As your mother, I confess to you that your father and I came into the marriage with diametrically opposed relational habits.

We had far fewer distractions of life than you do in your generation. We had tv with 13 channels and just the beginning of a few cable channels, but neither of us had much seen cable tv before we were married. This must sound to you like a couple of puritists that got married in this day and age. There was no such thing as a cell phone, facebook, twitter, pc's, tablets, blogging, etc.
I had grown up in a family that argued, but, that communication was most important. We would discuss the events of the day, the condition of our relationships with eachother and our favorite music and shows. We loved knowing details about oneanother's likes and dislikes, sometimes to use it for good or for conflict. {still, it was communication} My dearest, came from a family that didn't talk, {from my observations}. His family considered it delightful to sit watching a sports game or a public debate and yell at the tv, but rarely directed the conversation to eachother.
Weeks after we were married, I walked in from work and my dearest was watching the news, having come home before me. After going into the bedroom to cry for half an hour, I decided to address the problem that I was feeling. He had no clue that there was a problem. It wasn't time for dinner or bed, it wasn't a wicked show that he was watching and I didn't tell him that I had cried and he would never have known. Where is the communication? What is he doing? Why is he so involved in this television? I was being selfish, truly. I had expectations of being the desire of his communication. He had no idea of what I was thinking. I think that it was a week later that we discussed the problem, maybe a month later. I wept inwardly at the possibility of having a communication free marriage for, at least a month.

It took months for me to express the longing of my heart, to know more about my most precious relationship. It came out in an explosion, one day. I was angry about something else and brought it all together and my gracious husband was able to unwrap the tangled web of anger and perceive that my heart was saying that I wanted more of him. It could have separated us. We were so different. He took the first step to go to counselling about this problem. 2 or 3 months married and we were in the counselling room, the honeymoon was over? No! We saw that we had to work at the relationship to make it more than just 2 individuals sharing a living space. We had to talk. We had to work through conflicts. We had to love eachother enough to talk and to listen and really hear. These things are very, very time consuming. Even then, I didn't say to myself, my marriage is boring. I had a hope that there could be life breathed into my marriage, no matter how difficult it felt to find it.
We decided to dig holes in our family dirt to find the life and the commonality that drew us to eachother.

No comments: