Friday, June 16, 2017

Sweet Land of Liberty?

My country tis of thee, Sweet Land of liberty, Of Thee I sing, Land where our father's died, Land of the Pilgrims pride, Oer every mountainside, Of thee I sing!
I sing this as a prayer to God.It was taught to me in my youth. We sang it daily, in the bygone days when prayer and patriotism were stoked in the schools. Perhaps it means what I sing, perhaps it was a song of glorification of our great land. I sing, "Lord, This country is of Thee! You made it. You put it in the minds of our forefathers to covenant together to govern themselves upon it. I see Your glory in that, Lord. Continue to bless that sentiment to the Glory of Your own power and to the committed deterioration of our own sins and sinful tendencies. Help us to exalt Thee and to abhor our wayward ways. Give us grace to create policy and activity that extends the life of our self-governing and not those that bring your judgment upon us!" Our Liberty is not unconditional. We are prisoners of our success at governing ourselves. God will bless it and He has, as far as I can see. Amen.

No comments: