Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Up From Fear!

Saturday was a day of rejoicing for me, at seeing the development of my swimmers. Emily, especially has surprised me at the skill that she has developed over these years of swimming. She was the girl who screamed at the moment that her hand left the wall of the pool. That day, she was swimming to the bottom of the 8 foot and twirling around down there like a dolphin. This was a very large accomplishment for a 2nd generation aquaphobic family. I knew that I didn't want the children living in the bondage of my limitations on those issues and with classes and much cajoling and sometimes boxing of the ears, she made it to the point of stopping the screaming.
My vision could only see her getting away from the wall of the pool. Laps was the next step, if we could get into a program, but I could not see her swimming to the bottom of the pool, time after time for fun.
She has overcome that fear and she is empowered to overcome other fears, hopefully, as a result. A marked and measurable difference between her then and now.
Elyse was also aggressively taking on the water with triumph. She and Emily challenged eachother again and again to go beyond their self-inflicted limitations in the pool. That is what I like to see in my "sista-hood"!
"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." applies to the pool also.
Because I have not yet overcome my fears, with regards to the water, completely, doesn't make it not true.

No comments: