Friday, November 28, 2008

It was a frosty Thanksgiving Morning

The frost was covering the blooms on my butterfly bush and not a bird came out to greet me on the morning of this Thanksgiving. I felt different because the house was not filling our olfactory nerves with the roast turkey and I had a choice, to cook the Turkey or not, this year.
The day bloomed into a warm and sunny one. No trace of the earlier frost was there by the time it was time to give thanks.
Thanks to some precious friends who cared enough to share their family tradition with us, we had a relatively leisurely morning. I whipped up some lasagna and some apple pie to bring with us and the presence of a Good God was with me in the prep work and with us in the visit to our friends house.
I can't remember back to a time when Thanksgiving was filled with all love and future thoughts and no one in the room was on the last Thanksgiving, that we knew of. We had been on that season for so long that the lustre of the day had come to mean goodbye instead of Thank God. I didn't realize that, until we were with couples who were younger.
Although there were many lessons sitting Shiva (as it were) with the elders in our families, over the years; it was rejuvenating to enjoy the life giving spirit of families where that was yet a far off thought, still. "There is a time to live." Our friends gave us the privilege of taking that time to live with them.

No comments: