Saturday, November 29, 2008

A light in the darkness

This is the day that they announced that William Gibson died. He shed light on the deepest love that, I think, earth can know. The love of light and communication coming into the darkest place. "The Miracle Worker" my very favorite story. I read the story many, many times, but I don't remember ever watching the movie. I tried out for a part in it...that is another story...
William Gibson will be known throughout history as the man who shed light upon one of the most intimate experiences known to man. The initiation of communication in the soul. Thoughts can stay welled up in a human soul with no ventilation of communication and a person an Annie Sullivan can wrestle the devil and loose the tongue of communication through sign and in the hand and through touch. Now we can all know that Helen Keller had feelings and hopes and dreams and thoughts and beauty in her blind and deaf and uncommunicative state. I love the faith that took the devil to task in that arena and prevailed to the glory of God. I love the faith that thought it a worthy venture to put the story into the venue of the day, play and movie form. I love the beauty of the relationship of women who have played those roles and the change that you see in them from that learning experience. I love the fact that we have a trust in this country that we can tell the good stories and the bad ones to people in the media.

No comments: