Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Birthday to Aunt Ra Ra,

caught me with $100 card to my favorite store(this week). I took out my trumpet and my shopping buddies and "ta da da da...Charge it!" We went shopping. Through the store with 100 and more need than money. We, at first decided to split it, but as an afterthought I walked down one of the aisles and something jumped off the shelves and jumped into my cart and I know that it was meant to be mine today.
I finally bought my very first, pressure cooker. What? What is a pressure cooker? We really don't see them much anymore. With microwaves, who needs pressure. Well, I feel like I'm really a woman now, at least in the sight of the old ladies, in my family. Stage one was having a baby, then you were allowed to speak in a meeting. Stage two was the pressure cooker. The pressure cooker symbolizes cooking things for someone other than yourself. Taking the time to think about the needs of somebody other than yourself. Pressure to cook and pressure to be the momma and pressure to feed your children something healthy, like it or not and make them like it.
When I would come over Grandma Ruth, she would sweet talk my Ben. Sassily, she would lead him to the pressure cooker. You want some limas, Ben. I know that Jayne is not feeding you limas, is she? I should be ashamed, she was saying. Today, I am cooking the pinto beans, in the hopes that that will make me one of the old ladies, in the future. Passing down the freshness of love making in the kitchen. The home cooked hugs and memories that make traditions and life. I love you says the pressure cooker. Once I learn to cook with it. We'll see.

No comments: